TGRWA was the Structural Engineer of Record for 25,000 square-feet of additions to the Barack Obama School of Leadership and STEM in Park Forest, IL. A structural highlight of the additions was the gymnasium, a 10,000 square-foot space constructed with steel joists spanning 90 feet to precast bearing walls. The challenge of the gymnasium was designing it to double as a storm shelter per the new ICC 500-2014 provisions. Requirements in the current ICC include the ability to resist 250 mph wind loads and withstand impact loads from a 15-pound piece of debris traveling 100 mph. Other additions to the school provided a new statement entrance and more mechanical space.
- Structural System| steel framing, including long-span joists, and precast bearing walls
- Total Size| 25,000 square-feet addition
- Architect of Record | Planera Architects
- General Contractor | Tower Contracting, LLC
- Owner | Chicago Heights School District 163
- Completion Date | Summer, 2018